View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyblake View Post
Natalie, can I ask how long you have had your DX and how long you were on Copaxone before moving to Interferons and then ultimately to Tysabri? How long have you been on Tysabri? I am trying to get my head wrapped around all of this information and would like some input from others as to how they made their choice of which DMD to go on.
Hi Amy,
I was diagnosed in Sept. 2007 tentatively. It was confirmed in Dec. 2007. In Feb. 2008 I went on Rebif (or what I call Rebarf!). I was only on it for 2 1/2 weeks. Not only did it make me sick every single day in a row with no break, but the depression came screaming back--that very black kind which I haven't had in years. I decided to go off and within a few weeks my depression lifted. The whole thing was so strange. I then went on Copaxone for almost 7 weeks. I had horrible insomnia, jittery anxiety, fatigue, headache and extreme nausea. I just happen to be very sensitive to meds. My quality of life diminished and I couldn't do my job. Then I went on Tysabri in July 2008 before any post marketing PML cases appeared. I've been on it for 18 months and am very happy with it. It has allowed me to forget that I have MS...just 1 day a month I have to deal with needles and my fatigue lifted so I feel almost normal. I have had no changes on my MRIs in the past 18 months. One thing to consider is that it is quite safe statistically to take it for 12 months. You could commit to just one year and buy yourself some time until the pills come out and the possible antibody test for JC virus which causes PML (there is talk this could be coming in a few months). I hoped to just buy time I may go off at #24 because of the PML risk.

I hope this helps you. Good luck with your decision!
"Thanks for this!" says:
DizzyLizzy (12-22-2009), Twinkletoes (12-22-2009)