View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You will want to find out the numbers of your B12 test. In the US "normal" is typically very low. If you are below 400-500 you should be taking a supplement every day.

Vit D also impacts depression. There are studies out showing improvements with depression as the blood levels normalize.

I take 4000IU D3 myself.

Here is a link to the newest information, put together at Univ. South California, San Diego Medical school:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread92116.html
It is long but it explains alot.

Once your depression lifts, you will feel less pain. The two are connected.
Other things that improve depression are folate, and DHA (this is a long chain fatty acid in fish oil).

What was the drug your doctor gave you? Elavil (amitriptyline)?
This drug has anticholinergic effects...not good for MG patients.

Shari--- are you using any osteoporosis medications like Boniva?
Those drugs can cause muscle pain as a side effect.
Oh no, everything is be becoming such a big mess, My doctor gave me nortriptyline. It must be in the same class as amitriptyline. With everything else going on, I don't need to make my MG worse. What anti-depressants are safe for MG'ers to take. I guess I need to call her and tell her. Hopefully she can call something else in for me today. It felt good to sleep last night and I didn't have much of a mg reaction to it so I thought it was okay. I just hate taking new medication because I never know what it will do to my MG.

I don't take any osteoporosis medications. I do take a VIT B-12 supplement everyday. 1000 mcg.The kind that disolves under your tongue.

I know that depression makes everything so much worse and I hate that I have allowed myself to get to this point. I have to get my vitamin D up for sure now. I cannot stay in this state of mind.

Oh, another question. When I took the vitamin D pill I could have sworn that shortly after I felt somewhat weaker. Is there any way that could happen? Maybe my body is so low that it is shocked to have more of it. I am taking 2000IU every day but have only been taking them for about a week and a half now. I'm probably so low because I haven't gotten any sun for the past 6 months since I have been ill and in the house so much. Plus I live in Ohio where it is always so cloudy even in the spring and summer.

Also, does anyone know if water therapy is good or not good for MG?Has anyone tried it before?
(I would start a new thread but it is part of what my doctor wants me to do for the "fibromyalgia")

Last edited by Shari_W; 12-23-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote