View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 01:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smirk Thank you

Thank you for the responses... I was feeling very down after reading the book, and simply cried and cried on my husband's shoulder the other night. As always, I put my chin up, and started trying to look at things differently.

Another thing that happened to my daughter along with all her ailments, was she was the victim of sexual abuse at age 9. It was all sub-conscious damage (I believe she was given a rohipnol (sp?) type drug,) so she acted out, became suicidal, etc., without knowing why or what had happened to her. She was hitting her teacher, hiding in the bathrooms, and screaming in the halls. It was simply awful. We didn't find out what had happened to her until 6 months later when the dentist was busted with pictures. She is not social at all, and when she tries to be, she is socially awkward. She wants to have a boyfriend, but cannot attract boys that are intellegent yet sensitive enough to "get" her.

We had to move after these experiences, and went to a school district where they were both given appropriate IEPs (at their former school, they would only give them services under SED - Severe Emotional Disturbance). They were finally coded as Other Health Impairment and received appropriate accommodations. I fully expected this to be the same with Social Security, but was not the case, their determinations still classify under Mental Health for TS/OCD/ADHD. We had originally gone to Voc Rehab to look for assistance, but they said my husband and I make too much money for them to offer anything. They said the only way was to get SSI based on the fact that they're over 18, and go from there.

They saw a mental health provider who specialized in TS/OCD and other sequelae for almost 12 years, and were very well taken care of. However, this Ph.D. had to stop her practice for personal reasons and they've been pretty much left in the lurch since. I'm now in the process of trying to find someone on our insurance who can give them appropriate updates for SSI. But, it has been my experience that a regular PhD tends to say things like "you can choose not to do that behavior," and "I wouldn't have said that if I were you," which only add to the problems and anxieties associated.

Luckily, so far they are able to do college, both with classes and online courses, and make good grades. They are still eligible for our insurance as such. But we have used every cent we've had to pay for medical/therapy/prescriptions/relocation/etc. (Not to mention car insurance after my daughter had 5 accidents and my son had 6.)

I will also try to contact the TSA, but my experience has been (as of late) of not being able to reach anyone there, and not having my phone calls returned. I don't know what the problem is there.

Boy you know, sometimes I feel like Debbie Downer from SNL! But, I'm very glad to hear from other people in similar situations... I will be on again, I'm sure, as things move along. I just have to find the time...Thank you!
TaffiMac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote