View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 02:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I'm new here.

Hi folks!
I just found this place while searching TOS and SLAP Lesion.
In 2005 I was in a phase at work where I was lifting several thousand pounds a day in 30 - 50 pound increments. Much of this was removing 50# bags from pallets, placing on a cart, and relocating to shelving or piling them up in the work area.
Anyway I had pain in my shoulder after lifting and throwing a 50# bag on to a shelf at or above my head.
As usual I just dealt with the pain and hoped my day off would help if I rested.
Nope it just got worse.
I tried to report it to my managers but they were trying to get me to admit to doing it outside of work and to have my regular medical cover it.
Well, after some persistance on my part they finally got the work injury paperwork going and I went to see the Company's doctor's office that they contract work related medical stuff out to.
That doc said I had a strained shoulder.
I insisted on seeing my own doc and she recommended MRI and a follow up with a shoulder surgeon.
Work didn't want to deal with the restrictions my doc gave me and insisted my doc put me out on disability.
Since then I've been on WorkerComp.
Had three MRI's. One with a dye of some sort. Two were on my shoulder and one on my neck.
The shoulder ones showed some slight tearing or impingment. In the neck it indicated some degenerative disc disease.
The shoulder surgeon deferred from operating on my shoulder because he felt that my symptoms indicated TOS.
Went and saw a neurologist and I guess it was determined that my problem was vascular. So off to the vacular surgeon.
Vascular surgeon indicated I had three issues and he felt TOS surgery would be appropriate and said I might even get relief for my shoulder pain which is what I wanted releif from to begin with.
To make a long story short we agreed to do TOS surgery.
Somewhere in this process the Company and it's W/C insurance carrier were messing with me so I got an attorney. My attorney and the firm agreed to take my case. I'm not sure why as they will only be paid if I get some sort of settlement or pay off.
My TOS surgery was in October and at this point I can say I am almost over the pain from surgery but nearly all my symptoms are still present and my shoulder feels worse.
Followed up with vascular surgeon three time now. More meds and PT.
He has me going back to see shoulder surgeon in a several weeks and then another follow-up with him.
At this point I wish I would have known more about the TOS procedure. I'm still not sure if I'd do it again given a choice.
The surgeon seemed like he knew what he was talking about and my symptoms made sense.
Supposedly the vascular surgeon is one of the best at it in the N.E.
The only good thing is he didn't freak out when I told I actually felt worse.
I thought for sure he was going to tell me I'm nuts.
I think I'm going nuts.......these pain meds aren't helping the pain much and I think they are making me depressed.
Who knows?????
I'm looking foward to being able to read about other peoples experiences with TOS.
Take Care!