View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I guess I should be thankful

Quote:
Originally Posted by calandra8 View Post
Greetings

I am new here, but by browsing for more info. regarding paraylisis and epidurals- I came across this site-

my mother is currently in ICU and paralyzed below the waist as the result of an epidural for back pain, it was her second..her first had went well

during the second, she suddenly got shooting pains in her back, ribs and legs..then everything went dead-, she was transported to via ambulance with no musclular control whatsoever. Now she has some control of her upper body but is completely paralyzed from the waist down, of course the dr. said it had nothing to do with the epidural but c'mon people, look at the facts...so i research and what i find is frightening, simply by hitting the wrong nerve the epidural can and does cause complete paralysis which may or may not subside. no one knows if she will regain use of her legs at all and will be leaving the hospital in a chair.

please, please think twice before someone tells you there is no harm in an epidural and serious side effects cannot happen, they can and they do and with far more frequency than the md will admit.

I am off to the ICU to visit her now...keep this in mind before letting anyone preform an epidural injection- google paralysis as a result of epidural and see what the mda has to say- it does happen...

blessings
Aimee
I had my 2nd injection about 2.5 years ago. I have pain from the injection site as well as intermittent numbness down my leg and in my large toe. I have been searching for info on nerve damage from the proceedure, but all I can find is that there is a .05 risk. well I am that .05. It can be misserable, but not as misserable as the pain it prevented. It was so severe it made me cry the pain was horrible. There is no such thing as a completely safe proceedure. The risks were explained up front and I dont feel the Dr was negligent only trying his best to help me. People so often forget that fact. Would I do it again? Yes! The discomfort felt now is just a tiny fraction of what I was experiencing. And Now I realize it could have much worse. I hope your mother gets better soonth and may God Bless
bjkirschn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote