View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspriscilla23 View Post
Thanks for the friendly reply!! Both my brother and I are receiving SSDI and SSI (my brother only gets one of these...unsure which one) However, for both of us Social Security benefits only went back a few years; more than likely back to the date of application...However, I was told that if there was proof of diagnosis/treatment than the benefits could potentially date back to when the disibility actually began, rather than the date of your 1st application. In my case, I was diagnosed at age 14. My current claim goes back only to age 22. Perhaps I was misinformed, but it was a disability advocate who told me so that this has been known to happen... I wonder if ANY of you out there have heard of this happening?? Both I and my brother have been living with the same condition since childhood, app age 14 for me and my brother was born w/ his disability but not tested until age 15. School/work has been affected all along since early teenage years for the both of us and as a result our parents have spent countless thousands seeking help eg treatment.
My father and mother will not retire for app 4-5 years from now. They did not know they had options to apply for SSDI/SSI when we were kids....
Thanks very much for any advice!
You were misinformed.

SSI does not pay claims for months before some applies. SSDI may in some cases pay claims for 12 months before the application date. You cannot get any kind of benefit from a parent who is not deceased, or entitled to SSDI or entitled to retirement. SSI benefits for disabled minor children are based also on the parents' income, so even if your parents had applied for you as a minor, there might not have been any benefits because they had too much income. From what you have said, I do not see how you can qualify for anything more than what you are currently receiving.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote