Thread: Update
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, your right bicep doesn't like you taking a shower, which means you may be right-handed and using that arm more or are showing signs of getting worse again. The chewing being a little more hard could be due to talking - have you been talking a lot?

I've noticed a difference between what neurologists tell men versus what they often tell women. They tell men that with drugs like Pred, they should have a normal life. With women, they simply say that their symptoms should improve but not that they would have a normal life. There seems to be an importance placed on getting men back to "normal" and as soon as possible. It's a very odd reality I've seen over and over again when doctors have talked about men who have MG.

Even with drugs, you can have a crisis. Drugs don't get rid of MG, they make the symptoms get better. And symptoms can always get worse if you do too much (like having a "normal" life). And so if someone thinks they should be able to do what they did before, they can get into MG trouble.

I'm not saying that's how it is with you but thought I'd throw that out there. Think of your muscle energy as money, use too much of it and you go broke. After you drive, your right leg may feel weaker and not just for an hour but a couple days later. There's an odd cumulative effect with MG where after you use a muscle group (like talking/chewing muscles), they can get even worse a day or two later.

So maybe be more aware of what you do every day and see if it effects you in the next day or two.

Do you have an internist/primary care physician? They will often recommend a pulmonologist for you. I have the kind of insurance where I don't need a referral, so I found one on my own after checking/asking around. I'm sure UNC has some good ones. Their pulm. techs are really good.

I hope you do NOT get worse! I hope you stay well and HAPPY. It sucks not to do what your friends can do but then maybe they can do what YOU can do with you. True friends adapt to someone with a disease and gladly.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote