View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 04:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Good points Laura ...

I believe the reason it has been considered for pwp about to enter a nursing home is that the cost benefit of Duodopa versus nursing home is easier to argue.

I cannot understand why the drugs are so expensive, l-dopa is pretty cheap, liquid l-dopa aka Duodopa seems to cost "$ large". Is this an example of a company pricing themselves out of the market ?

Why it should be considered only after dbs is a mystery to me. I agree I would take nearly anything over brain surgery. I wonder if there is a vested interest lobby for dbs among companies and Neuros who perform dbs !!

To me this highlights the struggle to get drugs to market. We go through a never ending round of trials possibly only to find the company's pricing model is off the pace due to the costs of drug delivery to market. Then we have to lobby the medical profession to move away from their existing pet company / product to consider the new alternative.

Makes you wonder how anything for PD gets to market (oh hang on, thats probably why nothing has for 40 years). I wish I had more answers.

Take care,
Neil.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (01-03-2010)