View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Statins & Niacin - (and regarding "No-Flush" vs "Sustained Release"

MrsDoubtfyre .....

When I learned about the large study showing that those with congestive heart failure experienced a far higher rate of death if they were taking statin drugs, I was concerned. THEN when my CHF suddenly worsened, despite significantly decreased weight, increased exercise, and diligent monitoring of my blood pressure with immediate steps to bring it down at the first sign of even modest increases --- It was overwhelmingly depressing to have this sudden unforeseen significant overnight worsening of my heart's ability to maintain my circulatory needs.

Well, I spent a few months thinking on it and then told my doctor I was going to try it on Niacin alone (as statins had done such a poor job of lowering my cholesterol, tho I had an high HDL level). An Rx change to Advicor made a difference - a statin combined with 500mg of Niacin. I had, in the past, also taken 500mg of an OTC flush-free Niacin, then my doc put me on Niaspan 500mg. I have now asked him to prescribe me Niaspan bid.

Before I went back to the store for Niacin, I researched some database medical articles and found one doctor saying that "no-flush" niacin is not nicontinic acid, but a form of niacin that is not "available". He said only the sustained or prolonged release forms should be used. I studied labels and found one (nicotinic acid) from what seems a reputable pharmaceutical house (hope hope). I have found it very nice to use - the Niaspan dumps the niacin on me with harsh intense flushing for 5 or so minutes (and I've been taking Advicor and Niaspan for 5 years now with no diminished flushing).

So while I am pleased that I can take 2 at a time without turning red as a beet, I still find myself concerned about whether I am taking a brand I can rely upon. I would appreciate your advice. My doctor wants me on my new regimen for 4 months before he next checks my triglyceride levels.

OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote