View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default more connections

oh where to begin? i met jack clark ...lol...he is [was? this was during plwp days] a patient and a millionaire in canada. he held a symposium at his mansion that we all attended on alternative therapies - reiki, etc. a different therapy in each room. his giant kitchen provided a wonderful huge dinner and we all ended up dancing, including the elderly jack and his wife to "We are Family". All arranged through lynda mckenzie's group [the gal in Freed's fetal cell study]

jack donated the money for the chair. Tony Lang is a bright guy and he is authoring some of this nondopaminergic thinking. He defended Amgen at the table that day for 3 hours in San Diego and authored much of the pro amgen arguments in the medical journals. Two things stand out for me about Tony Lang. One is that he wasn't glad about the halt of gdnf at first either. That;s the good stand out. The other is his statement to April, a participant, that day ,"do you want two hockey pucks in your stomach forever?"

well--yeah----some of the gdnf participants did...otherwise why were they inserted? were they ever really going to produce that treatment?

On the same day, the very same day, a new definition of pd appeared on the front page of the San Diego newspaper that redefined pd as having a non motor component.

Now the nondopaminergic movement.

But what is being created - a medicine or a market? in theory i am having no trouble with nondopaminergic - I'm living it. I agree with Dr. Lang in theory. Someone should write and ask him what he thinks about alzheimers drugs helping pd. Here we have a " consultant" and many 'conflicts of interest". What are they? just something listed at the end of articles....with no explanation.

paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigogo View Post
Laura - I looked at the article and made the same mistake - then I looked closer - the interview is with Tony Lang who is the Jack Clark Chair of PD Research at U Toronto.

Dr. Lang is well known to us - a major foe in the GDNF wars; disdainful of patients (tell them about San Diego, Paula!), and a huge influence in PD research (past president of the Movement Disorder Society)

That said ........ I am so very encouraged by his words - I can barely believe they are coming from him!

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote