View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 06:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Types/comparisons of magnesium

I never knew there were so many types of magnesium supplements. I have read the threads and know the benefits of magnesium, but the Citrate definitely is hard on the intestines. I believe it is what is used to clean out our intestines prior to a colonoscopy !

Frankly, I am writing on behalf of my German Shepherd 4-yr old female (Kai) with acute IBD and constant watery diarrhea. There are several reasons that the nutritionist I have been working with has recommended a cal/mag citrate supplement, but it is way too disturbing to Kai's intestinal motility. I have done some reading on Mag Glycinate, that supposedly does not disrupt bowel function like Citrate. Then there is Gluconate and many others.

Can anyone tell me the best form of Mag that will provide all the benefits WITHOUT the diarrhea side effects? Then someone said in one of the threads that you should NOT take calcium and magnesium in the same supplement at the same time...but rather take them separately and at different times. HELP !

Searching in Scottsdale
Frantastic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote