View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 07:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool drug companies milking cash cows

Dear MrsDoubtfyre ....

Again, another Wow. And this one a real soul-shaker. I had had muscle twinges the first month or so when I was first put on statins 5 years ago. Yes, my cholesterol was in the 300 range, but my "good cholesterol" has always been high (enough, all docs have said, to have a strong protective effect).

Yes, I got right-sided heart failure, now well controlled with an Ace-inhibitor and a beta-blocker, paired with a mild diuretic, but that was brought on because no one had ever told me that severe obesity and a practically immobile existence born of disability and the internet, plus not recognizing that even under-going even a week or two of very high stress-triggered blood pressure could ENLARGE my heart and give me a condition that would require life-time monitoring and control, and worse, that it was a PROGRESSIVE DISEASE. All I ever heard about was heart attacks and cancer.

Anyway, this matter about statins --- I had become very suspicious and unbelieving in the research as journal articles and research began to increasingly tout statins as a wonder drug that could help what is proving to be a majority of the US population. Thanks for letting me see that it is anything but... Snake Oil Salesmen.

I am so happy you are here so I could ask you questions.... I know I have possibly upset more than a few people with my post on Support & Service animals, but it needed to be said. I look at my incomplete sentences, and now wonder just how much my brain fog is a result of my now tiny dose of Lamictal ... and how much statins might be implicated....

Thanks again...
Theresa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Please search PD forum and PN and Medications using
"statin"

I have posted reams of data, about this subject. First off, you need to determine if you really need to lower cholesterol at all.

The entire cholesterol myth has been created by drug companies to sell drugs. The original Lovastatin (Mevacor) was designed for people with genetic hyperlipidemia... cholesterols over 350. ( I knew a patient who had 800!)
Then they decided to get everyone on the bandwagon.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebvNyKnM8EA

Visit www.spacedoc.net for more data and links.
The list of diseases connected to statins is growing by the day.
http://www.joimr.org/JOIMR_Vol7_No1_Dec2009.pdf

Niacin is safer, but less effective. It raises blood sugar, and may cause liver damage with time.

So if your cholesterol is really really high... Niacin is a good idea, perhaps. If it is 200-250... well, that is another matter.

Deciding what to do with cholesterol drugs remains a very thorny subject and each person must decide for themselves.
Unfortunately your doctor will not help with this decision--they only have one point of view. They won't even respond to your complaints or side effects:
http://www.medicationsense.com/artic...cts012108.html

You must read up and decide for yourself.

OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote