View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A thought on why prednisone doesn't work immediately-

I've also been questioning why prednisone isn't working as quickly for my double vision as it has in the past and I finally remembered a conversation I had with a neuro after my thymectomy 5 years ago when he was talking about my possibly getting remission after the surgery.

My logical mind said "If the t-cells have destroyed the muscle receptors, can they regenerate or what? How can I get remission when I don't have the muscle receptors?" His response was that some of the receptors are destroyed and they can't regrow. However, some have only been damaged and they can repair themselves. The hope is that there are enough left to repair themselves over time and that is why remission doesn't come immediately and also, why it doesn't come to all; they just don't have enough receptors left to make a difference when they do repair themselves.

Does this make sense? Should we be looking at it as the prednisone is giving our bodies a chance to heal the receptors and over time, we may see improvement? Or am I just crazy?
Juanitad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (01-03-2010)