View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentgamer View Post
Hi all, and happy new year to everyone!

I have sort of a dilemma. In a few days im scheduled to see a neurosurgeon about possible lower back surgery. The doctors keep telling me that it needs to be done because I drag my right foot. But I think it may not be from my lower back problems.

I am not real sure the problem is from the lower back, or from what caused the RSD.

What I think is that back in 2000 when the femoral artery was blocked for a week, and then the terrible surgery to remove the man made clot is what caused the foot drop problem. Since I have had trouble with ankle weakness ever since.

Could that cause foot drop?

The back was hurt after the embolectomy while I was still trying to work. I picked up a full keg of beer and twisted wrong because of the leg and ankle weakness in my right leg. It hurt the back pretty bad, but like I said the leg was already bad, and the ankle was already real weak.

I cant remember if it the foot was dragging or not before the back injury or not, but suspect that it already was because the ankle has been what has been giving me the most trouble from the start.

It would be terrible to go get surgery, then find out that it wouldnt have helped. The doctors wont even listen to me about my theory, and I am hoping the surgeon will at least let me tell about my theory.

This is a pretty scary thing im confronting, and would love any input. I did not know where else to go with this, but knew this is the best place because there is so much knowledge here.

I would hate to make the RSD worse, but if this might help me out of other pains it might be a good thing???
Hi Allen,

Neurologically, drop foot is usually an L5 nerve root problem or perhaps a peroneal nerve injury possibly at the outside of the knee. But from what you shared previously, specifically your MRI, it probably is your lower back. There are other reasons for it though, compartment syndrome to mention one.

From what you mention, your RSD was as a result of a femoral artery issue, which is located in the front of your upper thigh. The femoral nerve, which travels next to the femoral artery at that point, does not carry neurologic information to the muscles that hold your foot up. The sciatic nerve does which travels down the back of your leg. There are mutliple reasons for foot drop and you should really rely on a combination of MRI, neurodiagnostic tests and clinical findings for instructive guidance as to whether or not surgery makes sense for you!

Good luck, my friend!

Last edited by Dubious; 01-03-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: clarification
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
allentgamer (01-05-2010)