View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome NewMG:

For what it's worth, here's my recent experience:

Diagnosed with MG in July 09, CT scan showed 4 cm thymoma, so there was no question that I had to have surgery to remove the thymus w/thymoma.

Had my thymectomy (robotically) December 09.

The pathology report described the thymus as 60 gram intact appearing yellow fatty and purple measuring 11 x 7 x 1 cm thick. There is a palpable well-circumscribed ovoid nodule at one edge of the specimen measuring 4.0 x 2.8 x 2.2 cm thick. The thymectomy specimen shows a predominantly encapsulated spindle cell thymoma (Type A).

I'm glad my surgery is over and that my surgeon was able to do it robotically which is minimally invasive. However, I put off the surgery from July when I first learned about the thymoma and I went into a Myasthenic crisis in early December and had to be hospitalized for treatment including plasma exchanges. While I was in the hospital they decided to do the surgery rather than wait til January when it was scheduled.

This site is a wonderful resource of people's experiences with MG, however, everyone is different and responds to meds and treatments differently. That's what is so crazy about this disease. Finding a good neuro who is familiar with MG is also key.

Good luck in your quest for information.
KathyV is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote