View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome newmg,

I had a thymoma, so I had to have the surgery, but even WITH the thymoma, there were times when I found myself searching the net to see if there was some way to make a thymoma go away on its own (I know, silly thinking).

It's not so much that I was scared to have the surgery (I was scared, but not petrified, not-going-to-do-it scared), it was more that I was scared to have a piece of my body removed.

I feel that all of our organs serve a purpose, otherwise they wouldn't be there. Even in adulthood, a thymectomy is considered a form of immunosuppression, so the thymus must continue to serve some purpose...

It's interesting that you have mostly bulbar symptoms with no ocular symptoms. I have the same type of MG- no ocular symptoms (except in sunlight-DV and can't keep my eyelids up for a while after being out in the sun).

I'm happy to hear that your symptoms are under control. I'm taking prednisone too with mestinon, and my doc. wants me to start Imuran. I still have a lot of symptoms, so I feel hopeful about the Imuran working. What dosage of prednisone and Imuran do you take, if you don't mind me asking?

Keeping all that in mind, in terms of remission, it seems that those people with enlarged thymuses (hyperplastic) seem to be the ones who are most likely to get remissions- just from all of the things I've read, so it seems that you've got a good chance. On the other hand, you never know, as with Tyson, that there isn't a tumour hiding there as well.

I think that with all the things I know now, I might go ahead with the surgery if I were in your shoes. Also from everything I've read, the safest bet, in terms of getting all the thymus tissue out, is to do a sternotomy. But that robotic method does seem to be getting better and better.

I know that all of this is scary. Good luck with everything!
Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote