View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Woah...I just re-read your earlier post and realized that you've had MG for 10-years but weren't diagnosed until a couple of months ago...That's crazy! What were your symptoms during that time?

I've had hand, chest and arm weakness for a number of years before getting my diagnosis too...It wasn't until my speech went down the drain that it could be identified.

With my CT scan, the tumour was identified right away. It was about 5X5X7 cm, and my thymus was hyperplastic as well. The differential was either lymphoma or some other type of tumour, but they were pretty certain it was a thymoma because of the MG.

My tumour was an AB, stage 1. Pretty lucky since I've read that majority of thymomas that start to present with MG tend to be in the second stage by the time the MG shows up, and then require adjuvant radiation. So yeah, there was no question that there was a tumour after my scan.

I have a number of autoantibodies to AchR (for the MG), dsDNA (lupus), thyroid, and prolly other things too (because of the tumour- often, there are antibodies to other parts of the NMJ when there's a tumour). Sorta off-topic, but wanted to include it in case you could use the info.. Are you positive with the blood tests for MG?

The eyebrow thing- I can relate in terms of your description of it seeming like you've had a botox injection. I also haven't had botox, but when I've been extremely weak in the past, it has felt as if my face was paralyzed.

I also wanted to mention that usually I'll have issues with poor eye closure, lip closure. I also couldn't role my lower lip down for the longest time, couldn't fill my cheeks with air, without it all escaping immediately- almost complete facial paralysis-grimacing when actually laughing.

There's a picture I took with a friend just before my surgery, and it looks like I just had plastic surgery. I was so weak that day, I don't even know why I went out. We went to a pow-wow (sp.?), and I got a banick with moose meat- Lord have mercy, it took me an eternity to eat it! lol Note: Don't order game meat when you're having facial paralysis- baaaad idea! lol

Anyway, sorry to have gotten a bit off-topic. I'm not sure what you mean in the last part of your post. Are you referring to the robotic surgery not being covered by NHS?

Ttys!
Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote