View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 05:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome, MGartist,

I have plasma exchanges regularly, but I live in Canada, so it's covered by OHIP. Sorry that I can't help you in the way of costs.

I've tried IViG, and found that it didn't work for me. My MG is sorta unusual, though, and plasmapheresis is the most effective treatment for mine.

There aren't really any side-effects to plasma exchange, at least not like IViG. I found IViG terrible- the swelling, rashes, worst-headache-ever. As long as your hemoglobin is normal, there are some problems that can occur during the exchange, but they're mainly related to calcium-depletion, and that's carefully looked out for during the exchange.

They'll monitor you for numbness around the lips and in the fingers, or an odd taste in your mouth to make sure that you're not low on calcium at any point during the exchange. It's happened to me twice, but I've had about 35-exchanges this past year, so those are pretty good odds. It's dealt with quickly, and the symptoms subside quickly, so not to worry.

No pre-medicating required either, so you aren't zoned out on Benedryl with the day kinda ruined afterwards (the benedryl was awful for me).

I hope that it doesn't turn out to be too expensive for you. It's been extremely helpful for me, and I hope that it is for you too.

Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote