View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 05:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I know what you mean, Allen...

Recently, I asked my aunt and sister if my speech is worst than it was when I was first experiencing symptoms (when my speech is bad, I mean). My aunt said, "To tell you the truth, I thought that it was psychological when you were first complaining about the speech issues. I thought that you were very upset and that was why your speech was sorta bad." Paraphrasing.

My sister said something similar. Before my speech problems began, I was feeling very sick for like a year and nobody believed me- family, doctors, work. I had the arm weakness then, and a number of other problems. Everyone thought that it was psychological, what I was going through. Even now, I still have a rough time with some family members, but most understand.

You're right that for the most part, this disease is invisible. For that we are unlucky because we have to justify ourselves all the time. I wish that those around us, who aren't already, could become more informed about the illness before they reach conclusions regarding where we should be with this disability. On the other hand, the disease is so variable, that even I get surprised when I can't do today what I was able to do yesterday.
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote