Thread: 7 month mark
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Linda and others,

I posted my vitamin and supplement amounts previously. B-12 and folate can be tested by blood test. Both are important. The standard 'normal' levels are on the low side for a brain injured person. For example, the normal range for B-12 is 176 to 840. My physician likes my tested level of 1067. Some absorb B-12 easily from an oral form. Others do better with an injection. I was on injections of B-12 for help recovering from a major decompensation back in 1982.

We don't know what additions to my daily regimen has caused improvement but since adding 5000 IU's of D3, 25mg of DHEA, some testosterone, and Omega-3 fish oil, I have been sleeping much better and my wife notices a difference in my daily functioning. I added these in early October and it took about three weeks to start to notice a difference.

From my understanding, B-6, B-12, and folate are the most important for head injuries. For my 180 pound body, I take 300 mg of B-6, 380 mcg or B-12, 1300 mcg of folate, 6400 IU's of D3 plus a myriad of other pills. I take 24 pills each morning, plus a teaspoon of fish oil and a dollop of Testosterone cream on my butt.

Evidence is beginning to be collected tying D-3 to brain function. The exact mechanism is still unknown. They do know that D-3 binds to more than 900 different genes. The concern is that with a reduction of sun exposure, Vitamin D-3 is grossly lacking. The old FDA RDA (Recommended Daily Allowances) is considered to be grossly inadequate. It takes months of D-3 supplementation before the blood levels of Vitamin D-3 show improvement.

There is very little risk, if any, for these vitamin regimens so they should be considered as a first line of treatment. Any other treatments or therapy will be lacking if the brain is still nutrient deficient. It wont help to get your car tuned up if you have an empty gas tank.

There is a doc in Stamford whose credentials sound good. Dr. Sobo practices in medical and naturopathic nutrition. Might be worth a call.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
concussionkate (01-05-2010)