View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 05:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk I still think a wee of bit of smacking might be in order, but here's an update! :)

So, . . . I didn't smack my neurologist, but I've been sorely tempted. Here's what ended up happening. On Monday the man himself called me. Shocking, right? Unfortunately he did confirm that the reason he wasn't sending me to the hospital near me, which is one of the medical centers he works out of mind you, is because of the new computer medical order system. He said it takes a whole, wait for it, 15 MINUTES to input the order and that it is just "a lot easier to fax an order in somewhere else." Frankly, I couldn't believe that he would actually tell me that he was going to hugely incovenience me, possibly even endanger me and certainly comprimise my care, because it would take him a whopping 15 minutes to put an order in the computer. He truly sounded as though he thought I would be sympathetic to his apparent misery. I also got the impression that he believed that once I heard how difficult it was for him that I would just give in and agree to drive the 20 miles out of my way each way instead of going the 10 blocks or so to the hospital I always go to for my pharesis and which also has an infusion center. Yeah, not so much . . . .I was very polite and thanked him very much for calling me and made polite noises about how I was sure that the new system was quite daunting for him, blah, blah, blah, and then I just waited. And he finally said he would find someone at another hospital that is also quite close to me, or see if the pharesis doc could put in an order at the hospital I usually go to. I said that either one would be fine and thanked him for his understanding and his efforts, etc., etc. I truly can understand his frustration with the computer system--computerized forms are so NOT my favorite things either, but sheesh, doc, get over it already. I'm really wondering how his medical group feels about him sending out high dollar procedures to their competitor!

Today I received a call from his office and he has sent a fax order to the other hospital and I should hear from them in a few days. Again, I was very polite and grateful, even though I'm still not happy that I can't just go to the hospital with which I'm very familiar. At this point I'll take what I can get and it is going to be extremely helpful to go some place very close to my house, especially if the treatment makes me feel ill since I have no one to drive me. So, even though I don't think he's too thrilled with me right now (and the feeling is somewhat mutual), I'm still glad that I politely stood my ground about what I needed and wanted. I'm also very relieved and very grateful to finally have this situation come to a resolution. Hopefully I will be able to start my treatment soon and it will really help. Because I feel like I'm slowly getting worse and it's really starting to affect my ability to keep working. And that is scaring me. A lot.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial thread about this problem. You all gave me support and hope and I really appreciate it.

MK

If you can't be a good example, you can at least be a terrible warning. Janet Evanovich

If you can't be brave, be determined, and you'll end up in the same place. Lisa Scottoline

That love is all there is, is all we know of love. Emily Dickinson
CowgirlUp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (01-05-2010)