View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Nerve repair after 30 years???

Hi, I am new here and just now feel really lonely and scared. I have spent the last weeks reading on this forum and all excellent links especially the Vitamin B12 thread in the stickies.

To make a long story short. I’ve had nerve pain, mainly in my legs and feet, for more than 30 years, but also a lot of other strange symptoms in other parts of the body. Was diagnosed with a syndrome called ”Painful legs and moving toes” 30 years ago. The treatment has been symptomatic with pain medics, such as amitriptiline, tegretol, baclofen etc. For the last 5 years I have not used any pain medications. Symptoms for the last years have mainly been pain, twitches and cramping around my knees, not as intense as before, and also I have learned to handle the pain.
This summer I started to feel very tired and had difficulties coping with my job, I couldn’t think. It was like smog in my brain. I have not been to a doctor for the last ten years, when I gave up on neurologists who did not listen to me and told me everything was in my head. 6 weeks ago I went to a GP and she took a lot a tests. After a week she called me, and said everything was fine except B12 which was borderline, and she told me to drink more milk.

I started to search internet and found a connection with depression, tiredness, neuropathy and Vitamin B12, and went to the Pharmacy and bought a bottle of cyanocobalamin.
The first week I took 1mg/day. After 3 days most of the brain smog was gone. I increased the dose two 2mg/day, and after 2 weeks really strange things started to happen. I got pins and needles in my toes and feet, and intense pain in the toes, and involuntary movements in my toes. Those are symptoms that I had 30 years ago, but haven’t had for the last 10 years. Then after 4 weeks I got pain in my fingers and had difficulties to use my hands. That lasted only two days. I also got pain and pressure in my head, which lasted for two days. Right now I have a strange pain that feels like a constriction or pressure in my back, or inside the “spinal cord”.
It feels as if I am going through 30 years history of disease backwards. It is really very frightened and I am scared.
My current doctor don’t listen and still don’t think that I have a B12 deficiency since my B12 value according to her was normal, still she prescribed cobalamin, after I told her my experience with self treatment.
Could it be that what I am experience is repair of nerves or remyelination after 30 years of B12 deficiency?
Has anyone else felt this strange feeling in the spinal cord? It is so weird.

Thanks for reading my story and looking forward to any feedback.
iviking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote