View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 03:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Cool article, thanks for posting the link... I just had one problem with it. Near the end he says "And it's mainly kids who have Tourette's who are most in need of a break. For almost all the rest of us, it's a harmless nothingburger of a condition"...

This bothered me as an adult with ts. I understand how hard it was to have ts as a child, as i went through it all. The problem is, at least when you are a kid its easy to find others with ts symptoms, and to find support groups in your area.

And with all the new laws in schools coming out about kids with ts and other health impairments its getting easier for them to get accomodations.

Its not as easy when you are in college. Firstly because for the majority the tics diminish during adolescents college professors dont see ts as often as school teachers do. And they certainly have far less training in how to work with a student who has it.

Also in the workplace, its expected for adults to maintain self control. Management, co workers and others dont seem to want to take the time to understand that while tics may be easily controlled and supressed one day, the next day they could be off the wall. And finding a neurologist who is familiar with treating an adult with ts can sometimes be nearly impossible. When i was a kid there were loads of neurologists but ive found it quite hard to find ones who are comfortable working with an adult with ts.

When i look back, having ts as a kid was a breeze compared to having visible and auditory tics as an adult, where one is expected to have all the self control a child doesnt.
Senny is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote