View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 12:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Xanadu,

Not to confuse matters more, but I got a bit curious when I read in another thread that you also have Addison's disease and I think hypothyroidism?

I googled addison's disease + hyperplastic thymus, and I found some info. saying that anyone who has an adrenalectomy and many with addison's develop a hyperlastic thymus for some reason. Also, people with Grave's disease (which I know is the opposite of hypothyroidism, but still kinda interesting) also often develop a hyperplastic thymus.

I came across this article re. Graves and the thymus. It's by an MG expert here in Ontario (one that I was raving to you about in another thread).

http://cjns.metapress.com/app/home/c...lts,1:300307,1

Anyway, sometimes, at least with the Grave's, symptoms of it can be almost identical to MG. In the above case, when the patient was treated properly for Grave's, the MG-like symptoms disappeared.

It's all so confusing, though. I wonder why the thymus becomes hyperplastic in these conditions without actually causing MG? It's kinda weird...But maybe that's why your hyperplastic thymus isn't being looked at more closely? Has the doctor ever mentioned that it could be enlarged in Addison's? It still seems like you have MG, though, from everything you describe, and it isn't uncommon to have both- in fact, they seem to be connected.
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote