View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Bfs--anyone experience this?

Hi everyone-

I'm leaving this morning from Philly--to the West Coast--& last nite---I started to get those very strong muscle fasiculations all over my body! I called up my "Neurology Group's" Emergency phone #--& God was with me as the "Dr. on call"....was MY Neuro-! (I left my phone # w the operator) & She called me back in less than 5 mins!

I was so panicky-! (This was about 9:30 PM)----She had just seen me...yesterday....--And she saw when I was having them....! They can be so strong!

She was sooo, 'reassuring'! After telling her my symptoms...& she sensed my anxiety she said..."Chris---you've had every neuro test"--(-TWO MRI's of the brain....EEG....& others!)....she continued..."And I can reassure you they are nothing serious"---She mentioned "Benign Fasiculation Syndrome"

Here is a short section explaining...BFS------Anyone else have these things? Interesting..I've always had them....since I was a teenager--But--they did seem to get worse......after I had the Flu,..in October! OK................Here's the paragraph--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------BFS

What are the symptoms?
This condition represents a hyperexcitability of the neuromuscular system.

Common symptoms of BFS are frequent muscle twitches (fasciculations or fascics), generalized fatigue, "pins and needles" sensations, migrating numbness, muscle cramping and/or spasms in the affected areas (usually the feet and calves), muscle aches and stiffness exercise intolerance, headaches, and itchiness.

Clinically some patients have mild increases in creatine kinase. Muscle biopsy may show mild neurogenic changes. Electrodiagnostic studies show peripheral nerve hyperexcitability.

Often the symptoms will get worse at night, or during periods of sickness or viral infections, stress, or overexertion.

Many people experiencing these symptoms fear they may have ALS or MS. A simple clinical rule is that fasciculations in relaxed muscle are never indicative or motor system disease unless there is an associated weakness, atrophy, or reflex change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone---hoping some people get back who hve experienced these---! Regards--Chris
Jerky_Chris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote