Thread: Depressed
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Hi sweetie

I'm sorry the depression beast is around again. It is hard for family to get it, i know.

I'm glad you have your family doctor to work with. I have not taken Lexapro, but i took its predecessor - Celexa, which worked well for me. Lexapro is like a more refined version of Celexa with fewer of the side effects.

some bipolars can tolerate antidepressants alone. however, if this approach is taken, the antidepressant needs to be suspended as soon as the depression remits. (with non-bipolars, it is recommended the treatment continue for some weeks after.)

I have a friend who is bipolar 1 and she has on several occasions taken antidepressants without mood stabilizers but she does need monitoring... after a while she tends to go hypomanic if they are not withdrawn.

however not all bipolars can do this safely.

there is the risk of inducing a net manic switch and possibly rapid-cycling. can you reach your pdoc by phone to get some quick feedback on the Celexa? is your family doc aware of the bipolar dx - might need to be reminded if you only mentioned the depression this time.

i would put the calls in and still pick up the med. maybe you can wait to take it until you get an ok from your pdoc or he might suggest a mood stabilizer, to prevent a manic switch.

hopefully the chips will fall into place. hang in there and keep us posted ok?

and check in with us as often as you can/want. remember you can talk about your feelings, vent about your day, or whatever you feel like...

just don't be alone with this.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (01-07-2010)