View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Forget the soccer

Hi,
I was a soccer player until I got PCS. I haven't played since, though I have been tempted. But, even though I would love to play soccer, that just can't compete with the risk of doing more damage. The headaches are so bad and the effect on your whole life is so bad that it just isn't worth the risk.

In my view Dr. "No clear" is definitely right. Err on the side of caution. You can still keep fit by working out at the gym in a way that does not cause any jolting of the head. Cross-trainers are good, I think.

Believe me I would rather play sports. I used to play a lot of contact sports, but it's the cross-trainer for me now. I would advise your daughter not to take any risks with her health until she has fully recovered.

Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudbro9999 View Post
Again, 15 yr old daughter, soccer GK, major blow to the side of the face with a shot, concussion suffered in October 2006. We have 2 doctors, a speech pathologist and a physical therapist working this concussion. One doctor says he doesn't think he'll ever clear her, another who says symptom free without meds for a week and he'll clear her. The "clear her" one is well known in the sports community (UMPC), the "not clear her" one works at a major rehab facility.

"Clear her" says light workouts OK now. Thinks it will help with recovery. She did work out with her team on Monday. Today (Thurs) the headache is back big time. BTW, headache is the only remaining symptom. Sleep better now due to Trazadone.

How does one deal with conflicting professionals. They have conference-called on the phone, so they know each other's stance.

Also, anyone ever been given neurontin for brain injury? How'd it work?

Thanks for all your help.
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote