View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile357 View Post
Thank you so very much for the information. It explains alot how when the body is out of kilter on one level many things go wrong. Any more information is greatly appreciated. Especially about low adrenals:

No problems, happy to help out. I think a lot of people with CFS can simply recover with Hydrocortisone therapy similar to that of someone who has adrenal insufficiency. Dosing around 15-25mg per day.

Their is also the issue of low thyroid and low adrenals and both need to be balanced out for your chronic fatigue to be alleviated. If you are low thyroid and take thyroid medication but you have low cortisol you will still feel like crap or probably even worse as the thyroid hormone will further put the stress on the adrenal glands.

Think of it this way your metabolism controls your energy and your body temperature is a good indicator of your metabolism. Ideally you want to have temps of 98.6F or 36.8C this is the most optimal body temperature. Low temperatures signal thyroid/adrenal problems.

If your body was a car the thyroid is like the accelerator of the vehicle allowing it to increase in speed. So say for example you find out you are hypothyroid in a blood test and take thyroid hormone. You do so, you are well for a little bit while your adrenals can handle the increased stress. Think of the adrenals as the gear shift allowing your body to adapt to the increase in thyroid hormone. If you try to accelerate (thyroid) but your gear shift isn't working (adrenals) your cannot possibly expect your car to function now can you. One without the other simply doesn't work and your body is left in 1st gear.

I recommend measuring body temperature 3x throughout the day. Upon awakening, afternoon and evening then getting the average of these temperatures and comparing them to other days. If their are large fluctuations in temperatures more than .2 you have adrenal problems. Low temperatures are indicative of thyroid problems. Low and fluctuating temps are indicative that you have both problems occuring in your body.

Finally regarding cortisol it actually fights infections. So if someone's CFS is being causing by a virus which is subsequently causing low cortisol. Hydrocortisone therapy can help the person recover.

I recommend a 24hour cortisol saliva test for anyone with CFS/FM.

http://www.genovadiagnostics.com/ind...nav=doc&id=159

As well as thyroid function blood testing:

Free T4
Free T3
AND
Total T4
Total T3
T.S.H.
Thyroid Antibodies
Reverse T3

Regarding thyroid their is also the issue of low iodine. So a iodine urine test can be done from genova diagnostics. Or you can simply try a concentrated form of iodine called lugol's solution. If you take thyroid hormone and have low iodine you will remain hypothyroid because the body requires iodine to make thyroid hormones.

Good luck on your journey to wellness everyone. Take it from me i know, these issues will ruin your life but their are things which can be done to get your life back.
MetalMX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vannafeelbettr (01-18-2010)