Thread: Baclofen Pump?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Bailey,
I have not had it done, but I have been to MS meeting groups and seminars explaining this procedure. It was the main presentation that night.

Two of the women in my group had it done. The films were about these women. The before and after. One could not walk do to curled up feet and spasms and pain. The other for bad general spasticity and pain.

It was amazing to see these films. The medication is delivered directly into the spine through the implanted pump (on the side) and tiny tubing to spine. The medication goes directly where you need it and does not pass the stomach to give you that medicated feeling.

The dosage is checked for your amount need and programmed into the pump to deliver that amount.

It can be refilled when necessary by the doctor. He gauges everything and tests and re-tests the amount. The surgery seems easy but of course it still is surgery, but I am sure you will find there is a greater difference than taking the oral Baclofen.

You may need the med tweaked at times to how you feel, but you won't feel drowsy or that drugged feeling at all, not like with the oral med..

At the end of the meeting the girl in my group walked in and we all saw that she was not tripping over her turned spasm/curled feet and she walked normal. She had a smile from ear to ear. Like I said, we were all amazed, on film, and then in person.

The other women was glad she had it done also. She needed Baclofen at a high dosage and this was the answer for her. They only had good things to say about it and were glad they had it done.

I hope this information helps answer your questions. Did the doctor give you pamphlets and talk to you about it? Good luck to you and be well.

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

"Life is what it is". We can only focus on controlling those things we can control, we must let go of the things we can't.
Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (01-08-2010), barb02 (01-07-2010), Jappy (01-08-2010), Koala77 (01-14-2010), Phyxius (01-12-2010), Riverwild (01-08-2010), SallyC (01-07-2010)