View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Kate,

You may get some benefit from cranial sacral therapy. It will depend entirely on the practitioner. Some of CST is valid science. Some is just plain hog wash. It is taught as a key course requirement at Osteopath Colleges.

Studies show that you can be assessed by ten different CST therapists and rarely will they give a similar diagnosis.

The key valuable component is the cervical manipulations. Some Physical Therapist have these same skills as do some chiropractors. Some PT's will have skills in myo-facial release that can help with your neck.

My PT uses myo-facial release and simple traction manipulations to great benefit on my neck. I had a chiropractor who was great with my neck yet 6 other chiropractors could not help with my neck. It is all about the individual's skills matching your needs.

If the CST therapist wants to work on the plates in your skull, I would suggest moving on to another therapist.

The UB study has a weak standard of recovery by my understanding. They are more about return to play than return of cognitive function. Regaining balance and muscle tone and control is valuable and worth pursuing but the cognitive issues should also be a goal in recovery.

I find it odd that the "recovered athletes" can return to play but still have issues with memory and mental processing. How can this kind of limited recovery be considered a recovery at all? Without a well functioning mind, the athletic skills are of little value.
Kind of raining on her parade aren't ya? She's really excited about having some options, rather than the same old same old. To me, the benefit of a positive attitude can have more effect on health than anything else.

Why shouldn't she try some alternative treatments, sounds like it's something worth exploring. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

And regarding the UB place, I hardly think any neurologist worth a damn would implement a sports medicine recovery plan on someone who isn't an athlete, don't you?

My neurologist for example is the team neurologist for the Baltimore Ravens. That being said, he hasn't implemented any treatment for me to return to my sports activity, all has been geared towards getting me back to work and improving my cognitive function.

If anything, it's giving her hope, and that goes much further towards healing than anything else I've seen.
jayhybrid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pcshealer (01-09-2010)