View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hey, thought I'd set a bit of my 2cents into this matter.
First, I have been getting IVIG fro the last 4 or 5 years now. I started out every two weeks and now have an infusion every Monday. Since my resp failure in Jan 09 I have been deemed "homebound" and so can get the IVIG at home now. I used to have to drive to the infusion center here in town and sit for hours while it infused.
Ivig is not the cure all for me, but it is a very helpful component in my treatment "medley".

I have had only ONE reaction from IVIG in all this time, my rate is 150 and has been for a very long time. Well I said to the nurse who has done my infusions forever, how's bout we bump it up to 200 and see how that goes?? Well, bad idea!! got the worst headache for two days!! LOL

This brings me to one of the very important keys to IVIG success/no negatives. RATE RATE RATE!! Like buying a house is location location location, IVIG is very rate dependent as to whether you'll have problems with it or not.

They need to start out at 25 for 30 mins, then up to 50 for 30 mins, the to 75 for the duration. If you feel anything out of the ordinary, have them back off on the rate!!

You will have to be vigilant with this. Most floor nurses have no clue what they are to do with the IVIG. If they have any experience it's usually with a single injection of IVIG post exposure for some diseases. Your doc should have a protocol for them. If he doesn't you need to put your foot down and get the above rates.

Next, remember location location location?? Now ya got that, so moving on to hydration hydration hydration. You need to drink and I mean drink till your eyeballs float. This helps to keep things "thinned down" as the IVIG is very viscous or thick. So you need to make good friends with a water bottle. Think in terms of liters not glasses of fluids.

I will usually drink near 1 gallon before during after a single infusion. So if you love any particular drink take it to club med with you to ensure you'll be able to drink enough.

Oh and not to be forgotten, MOST people premedicate with a benadryl and two tylenol. So ask the nurse about that. I can get a little itchy if I forget the benadryl. It really does help to have both.

SO remember: RATE HYDRATE PREMEDICATE! *just noted that rhymes!*
(ok so won't quit my day job for poetry writtiing)

I wish for you a very smooth admission/progression/treatment. And I pray that the IVIG is just the ticket for you!! Many people have done this successfully and done very very well.

Know I am praying for you!! Feel free to email if you have any questions/concerns/or just wanna talk with someone who's been there done that and doing well!!

Hugs
Deb
justdeb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jana (01-08-2010), rach73 (01-09-2010), suev (01-09-2010), tinglytoes (01-16-2010)