View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbrujah View Post
My daughter Grace was diagnosed with low tone at 18 months of age with speech delay ,poor motor skills (falling a lot) and social difficulty. Grace gets Physical,special Ed, Occupational and speech therapy and wears orthopedic shoes. Grace Is now almost 4 years old and we decided to try a gluten free diet to help her since she has so many delays.We are starting off changing her cereal and snacks and going from there. We were told no peanut products since it effects her ears. Grace is a Picky eater when it comes to chicken nuggets and gluten free food. If there are any parents going through this please let us know how the diet is working for your child. I will update this log once we fully change over to a gluten free diet

Kabe & Grace
I applaud your decision to give a gluten free diet a trial. As Kim mentions, some times other foods can be involved, particularly dairy, corn, soy.

I have known people or heard stories of children making great gains in speech and mobility on a gluten free diet.

Perhaps you've seen these references and others, but if not, it should add to your motivation:

Quote:
Scientists Characterizes New Syndrome Of Allergy, Apraxia, Malabsorption
ScienceDaily (July 15, 2009)

"Published in the July/August issue of Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, the new study takes a major step toward identifying the potential mechanisms that may contribute to apraxia symptoms. In the study, Dr. Morris collected information from nearly 200 families with children who suffered from verbal apraxia in order to better characterize the symptoms and metabolic anomalies of a subset of children. The data clearly demonstrated a common cluster of allergy, apraxia and malabsorption, along with low muscle tone, poor coordination and sensory integration abnormalities. In addition, Dr. Morris was able to gather laboratory analyses in 26 of the children, which revealed low carnitine levels, abnormal celiac panels, gluten sensitivity, and vitamin D deficiency among others.

All children genetically screened carried an HLA gene associated with gluten sensitivity and celiac disease. "The sample size is still small and should be interpreted with caution," says Dr. Morris. "However this is of particular interest given the recent publication by Eaton and colleagues in the July 6 online edition of Pediatrics demonstrating a greater than 3-fold risk of autism in children born to mothers diagnosed with celiac disease. This brings some credibility to the anecdotal reports of gastrointestinal and behavioral improvements in children with autism spectrum disorders and/or verbal apraxia when eliminating gluten from their diets."

Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland (2009, July 15). Scientists Characterizes New Syndrome Of Allergy, Apraxia, Malabsorption. ScienceDaily. Retrieved July 15, 2009, from http://www.sciencedaily.com­

CONCLUSION: This study suggests that the variability of neurologic disorders that occur in CD is broader than previously reported and includes "softer" and more common neurologic disorders, such as chronic headache, developmental delay, hypotonia, and learning disorders or ADHD. Future longitudinal prospective studies might better define the full range of these neurologic disorders and their clinical response to a gluten-free diet.
Range of neurologic disorders in patients with celiac disease. PMID: 15173490

You mention your daughter's pickiness... she likes or doesn't like chicken nuggets? I make my own nuggets, and they are still one of my daughter's favorites. She started the diet when she was 5, and she's just about 14 now! Please ask for help if you need more help with food and snack ideas.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote