View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimaria View Post
I talked to my Neurologist yesterday and he feels it's atypical trigeminal neuralgia. I asked him if the dentists could be missing something and he feels since I saw numerous dentists, endodontists etc. that they have not missed anything. He took me off the Gabapentin and since I did so well on that but still have a weird taste and sensation along the gumline an as need medication he recommended is Ultram. Do you know anything about this drug?

Thanks.
Hi Adimaria! You sound so much like me. My pain started after a root canal and then the tooth being extracted. I had some different sensations on the right side of my face and scalp (creepy crawly, stabbing , burning,) from time to time, affecting my eye and ear. I was really bothered on cold or windy days. I would get terrible ear pain after being out in the cold. I went for my regular cleaning appt, and the dentist told me that he thought I needed a root canal. (Right upper molar, not sure what #)..Had the root canal because we were close to losing our dental insurance. As soon at the anesthetic wore off, I had odd sensations in the root canaled tooth. I put up with the boring pain, creepy crawly, stabbing, burning pain for a year, went to the same dentist three different times during this year to be told by the dentist that I had a sinus infection. Took antibiotics all three times and nothing helped. I finally had this tooth pulled (it seemed to me at the time that the pressure and pain I was experiencing would be relieved if the tooth was pulled)..The pressure seemed to leave after the tooth was removed only to be left with the most uncomfortable pain I have ever felt three days later. That was 7 years ago. I have been diagnosed with TN and have tried many combinations of meds. I am currently on Lyrica and Tramadol for my pain and Elavil to help me sleep. Tramadol and Ultram are similar (I believe) and I find it takes the edge off so that I can function. I have continuous pain, that never leaves. This past summer I had my last upper right molar removed, it had a vertical crack and I thought that it may be th cause of this unrelenting pain. The new dentist I went to tried to talk me into getting a bridge, he wanted try to save the cracked molar. I had the filling replaced, only to have the tooth fixed but still lots of pain. Had the tooth removed, a week later, some bone chips removed, and now I have all my upper right molars removed and still extreme pain. I too thought that the dentist was missing an infection, I went to an oral surgeon and he also said TN. I hate that I have this disorder and still don't want to accept it. But for now, it is what it is. I hope you get relief from your pain...Mar
FP02 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote