View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Hi Goalie and welcome to NT!

Like you, I got my TBI in a car accident and have been struggling for the last three years with symptoms like yours.

Educating yourself about brain injury is important as many doctors are indifferent and/or uniformed when it comes to our condition. There are treatments out there, but you may well have to advocate for yourself to get them. NT is a great place for information. Others I would suggest are www.tbiguide.com and the Brain Injury Association of America (BIA)at www.biausa.org. The BIA has branches all over the States. It's a great way to hook up with local support groups and to find people who are really looking out for you.

On that note, I would be very careful about the insurance company's doctors. Their job is to save their employer money, not to treat you. Car insurance doctors would dig up your great, great, great grandmother and certify her fit for the Olympics. You need to be careful here - I speak from experience.

I know it's hard, but don't let anybody tell you to give up. If I'd listened when my doctor told me "to accept what has happened," I wouldn't be able to do 10% of what I'm doing now. There are medications, cognitive therapies and coping strategies that could enhance your recovery and/or improve the quality of your life.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
concussionkate (01-08-2010), juliec (04-29-2010), vini (01-09-2010)