View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Occipital Neuralgia and treatments (my story)

I too am new here. I was in an auto accident in 2003 and have since had a lumbar fusion, cervical fusion and been through everything from chiropractors to accupuncture, phy therapy to injections and meds from pain management. The pain has still lingered.

I have had chronic back, shoulder, neck and headache pain since the fusions. Don't get me wrong, the fusions helped, but my quality of life still has been robbed-the pain just has not been intense enough to cry daily. It is now the type that makes me feel miserable and not want to do anything. The idea of cooking dinner, or even a drive to town is just exhausting to think about doing...doing it is by far worse.

My pain mgmt doctor ordered yet another mri. Again, slight changes in my neck (which has been my biggest complaint since the fusions along with the headache from O.N) were obvious, but didn't require another fusion. The doctors told me my last resort was a cervical spinal cord stimulator.

I had my trial, which I wore for a week and on New Years Eve the permanant one was put in. I instantly noticed the pain from the O.N gone. For the first time in six years I don't have a headache. Obviously the incision sites hurt, and I have to wear a neck brace for 2 mos to avoid moving the implanted leads, so it's a little difficult to know yet if the neck pain is gone-but for the first time...I have hope.
Has your doctor suggested such a thing?
Good luck and I will keep you posted on my progress
Draftergirl
draftergirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote