View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The reason I was given on why the adrenal glands go crazy is because of the narcotic medication that most RSD or Chronic Pain Patients take for long periods of time. The medication does something to the adrenals. If you try and get off all medications your adrenals go crazy believe me I've done it. Even though I got off all meds withing 30-60 days it took my adrenal system about 6 months to return to normal. I couldn't even drink a diet soda with caffeine in it, it would make me sick. After about 6 months as I said previously things returned to normal and I could even drink soda or even coffee without getting sick.

What the connection is I truly don't remember what my doctor said. At the time but I believe if I remember correctly because the narcotics give you a up feeling that effects the adrenals and after many months or years of this the adrenal gland just don't work anymore but does recover.

Gabbycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannafeelbettr View Post
Today I saw a well- recommended Chiro/Holistic Healer, who addressed that a big problem RSD sufferers have is a weak adrenal gland. I ask, "What exactly does the adrenal gland do?" She says, "You know when you drink that cup of coffee and it gives you that energy boost? The energy boost comes from the caffeine stimulating the adrenal glands." "Funny," I say, "Because I never get any kind of energy boost when I drink coffee. Caffeine has no effect on me whatsoever." She smiled, and simply said, "That is because your adrenal gland is kaput, underactive, and not working properly. Most people with RSD have this problem."

She suggested some supplements to me and I am going to try them. I did an online adrenal gland test and the questions that were asked (fatigue, mood swings, trouble sleeping, weakness, inability to "bounce back" from physical activity, brainfog, short-term memory issues, etc.) totally matched me. I decided to try GAIA Herbs Adrenal Health (about $20 on amazon.com) because all it's reviews were 5 stars. Can't wait until they arrive and see if they make a difference in my "pooped" self!!!
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyS (01-10-2010), vannafeelbettr (01-10-2010)