View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I just have to reply to this one!

I promised myself that I wouldn't get online his morning, because I have a doctor's appointment and need all of my energy. This in itself tells you that stressors use up our energy. Paula reminded me of this when talking about using all she had to get ready for a social time with teacher friends. Well, I just spent a solid 2 hours getting ready! (this includes a shower and hair-drying). After I finish replying, I will be zapped.

But I want those reading (who won't or cannot take the time to look it up) to understand about executive funcion. This terminology seems to be cropping up quite frequently.

By: National Center for Learning Disabilities (2005)
"Executive Function" is a term used to describe a set of mental processes that helps us connect past experience with present action. We use executive function when we perform such activities as planning, organizing, strategizing and paying attention to and remembering details.

They also show weakness with "working memory" (or "seeing in your mind's eye"), which is an important tool in guiding one's actions."

And, of course, we use executive function when we communicate. Loss of or problems with executive function is one of the first signs of Alzheimers (or dementia). But most of you have only discussed the mental aspect of communication problems. How many of you have difficulty with the "physical" aspect of speaking?

When I talk with people, they can guess pretty accurately how I am feeling (off, on, or inbetween), especially over the telephone, where they cannot see my bobbling head or "dancng" as my grandson calls it. But there are times (getting more frequent) when I slur my words or run them all up together with little or no intonation. That's when both the speaker and the receiver get frustrated!

I was referred to a speech pathologist (also to help with swallowing), but then the inclement weather set in, so I haven't been yet. But dog-gone-it! Public speaking has been my forte, and I'm just not ready to give it up.

I sometimes think that we should keep those speaking engagements to let the public see how we struggle, but there's the risk that you won't be able to get your point across. (sigh)

What to do . . . what to do? BTW there can be absolutely NO head bobbling or dancing until you get up to speak; then it's like someone flips a switch and puts every r eflex in hyper-overdrive!

Peg
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (01-11-2010)