View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Tyson,

Thanks for the greeting! I've been reading the site and think it's amazing how you've been handling this at such a young age. You have incredible strength, as I've discovered most Myasthenia patients do, regardless of how 'weakened' their body may be or feel.

As for how my dad was diagnosed, no it wasn't in the same day, but it was within 3-5 days. I know you mentioned in another forum that you are fortunate to live near a university triangle near UNC. Similarly we are very fortunate to live in a suburb just 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia. So when my dad had breathing problems, he went to our local hospital to the ICU.

A neuro saw him there and three days later he was transferred to Thomas Jefferson Hospital, which has an absolutely amazing Neuro Hospital and Neuro specific ICU. He was in the Neuro ICU for maybe 3 weeks where he was treated and diagnosed by a team of doctors. While there he had to be put on a ventilator because his breathing became so jeopardized. In addition to the Plasmapheresis, he also had a treatment of IVIG, but the plasma seemed to work the best.

He's not on oxygen at home, and was just diagnosed with this in October 2009, so it's all new to us. We are thinking he may need oxygen or a breathing machine for when he sleeps, not sure though.
DanaM327 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote