View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanmarie63 View Post
Welcome to the site, and what a great daughter you are in trying to learn and understand this illness.

I am shocked your dad was DXed so soon, {took years for me} but I am glad he was. I was on Pred and Mestinon and Plasma exchange years ago and thankfully only had to be on a resperator once {for 7 days}

Today I only take mestinon and rest, that is my treatment.

Feel free to ask whatever you need, someone here should have an answer. As you will learn MG effects us all in different ways. Some are severe and others mild, but we all suffer with it.

I hope your father gets adjusted to his meds and treatment and is able to have many strong days.
Hi Joan,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm so happy to have found this group.

Yes, it seems as though he was quickly diagnosed, but we are fortunate to live close to a Neuro Hospital in Philadelphia, who did a test on him to confirm the MG. I forget what it is called but I think it was something to stimulate the nerves in his leg, and see the reaction to it. Also, there was a test where they gave him an injection of something and if he was positive for MG, then he would have a few minutes of feeling almost amazing with symptoms being corrected, and then the symptoms would return within 15-20 minutes. It's was amazing to watch.

If you don't mind me asking, when you were on the vent, or at your worst symptoms of MG, what was your dosage of Mestinon? And what is it currently, since it seems like you have it under control? I'm beginning to see that MG effects everyone differently and am just trying to gauge where my dad falls in the mestinon dosage scale. He currently takes one 60 mg tablet every 4 hours.
DanaM327 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote