Thread: Muscle Spasms
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I cannot use NSAIDS as I have had GI bleeds form even short courses. This includes OTC and prescription meds. I reamin on 3.5 mg. of prednisone that my docs want me to stay on right now..as it had taken a year to drop from 5.0 mg. to 3.5 mg and was very, very difficult. (This is from trying to taper off of a short burst of prednisone over 4 years ago. Further tapering creates such a problem with symptoms , docs want me to hold here.)

I can use (sparingly) a topical NSAID cream with an anesthetic mixed into it as well. Yet, I have to use this very sparingly, to limit the amount that makes it into my blood stream, as the NSAID have an affinity for GI tract. (This has been made up by a compounding pharmacist for me for three years now. I think I have hear one NSAID topical formulation has been approved by the FDA and may be available now, or soon, with a prescription. I think this will be mass-manufactured, as opposed to being made up by compounding pharmacies.)
I used an NSAID called Deramaxx in my dogs for a while until I read about how much damage they can cause. We have switched to the NSAID alternative Vaxamine () which is an all-natural, botanical COX-2 & 5-LOX inhibitor for dogs that is very effective and a clinically proven alternative to anti-inflammatories. They make if for horses too, but I don't know it it is safe for humans.
planktonia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote