View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 05:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Bill,

I just wanted to clarify that this book offers no cures to autoimmune diseases, just collected information.

Although the complete cause of autoimmune diseases is unknown, there are KNOWN contributors such as heavy metals and specific chemicals (found in many household cleaners, pesticides and even food preservatives).

I can see the most likely cause of me getting MG...During the month previous I had:
1-Some old mercury fillings removed (mercury exposure)
2-An exposure to pesticides sprayed around a house that made me get dizzy and weak and I had to go home sick.
3-A very stressful situation in my life for the previous 4 years which probably weakened my immune system.
4-I got really really sick with something like a really bad case of the flu....One week later I had MG
5-I already have chemical allergies (which makes it more likely for me to get another autoimmune disease) which now I realize started a few months after I had some other mercury fillings removed. I looked up the dates for doctor visit receipts to verify.

My exposures described above are common with people who get autoimmune diseases.

I have been researching the subject of this book since I got MG and that is why I decided to read it.

Also I have been aware that overexposure to some chemicals cause certain autoimmune disorders in some people since I was in college. I studied this stuff in college and worked with hazardous chemicals for 10 years - this is not new or unknown information. I guess I never really thought that I would be one of the people that get an exposure related disease that I read about in the chemical safety books...and here I am with MG.

I want to help prevent my kids from getting the same problem I have since I may be genetically more susceptable...so I do want to be sure to limit our exposure to these chemicals unnessesarily. I think the list offered by this book was a good suggestion to minimize symptoms or to avoid getting the disease in the first place but is not a "quack cure".

I agree to use caution with supplements, research before you take them...and any supplements that cost $10,000 probably aren't worth it unless it was prescribed by your doctor.

I thought someone here might benefit by knowing about this book just in case they want to learn more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillF View Post
While the recommendations in the book are all OK for living a healthy life, the fact remains that we do not know what causes autoimmune diseases. I suspect that I developed MG after an acute exposure to a chlorinated solvent at work. I can think it but I can not prove it. A series of general recommendations is fine but the lack of scientific backup can make patients subject to quack "cures"

Yes, avoid exposure to environmental stressors, but be cautious. I know of someone very intelligent who spent almost $10,000 on supplements for cancer despite warnings from me (a scientist). The supplement company was latter exposed as a scam. Even caution is using organic foods is warranted. Some foods, it doesn't matter if it is organic others yes there is a difference. Do research on any changes in your life.

Bill

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jana (01-11-2010), Nicknerd (01-11-2010)