View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You may have a treatable condition as related by the two previous posters, or you may have damaged the part of your brain that processes auditory and other stimuli and filters out the ambient sounds and those of little value so you can focus on what's important.

The tinnitus is very common to PCS. Sensitivity to loud noises is also common. If the audiologist can pinpoint it as hyperacusis, then the noise therapy may be the answer. If it is a sensory processing injury deeper in the brain, you may have to learn to live with it and carry earplugs to block out ambient sounds.

I can handle a single loud sound without any problem but those common to loud sounds, residual ringing, discomfort, etc. But, if the sounds have echoes or multiple parts, my brain will overload trying to sort out the different sounds. This is a deeper processing disorder. I can hear echoes that others cannot. Sometimes, this is helpful as I can hear more parts of an orchestra. If the sounds compete, I will become overwhelmed and my brain will crash.

I use the yellow foam ear plugs that are a cylinder about 3/4 of an inch long. I twist them tight then put them deep in my ear. They block about 28 to 30 db, which is usually most of the background and echoing sounds. The primary sounds then become much easier to understand.

My neuro did an Auditory Evoked Potential test and could tell that my brain was trying to process all of the sounds presented. As he said to me, " You hear everything. How do you tolerate that?"

I sure hope you just have the treatable hyperacusis. My problem is very disrupting to my life.

One of my work-arounds when I have too many sounds to process is the ear plugs and listening with my eyes closed. The reduction of all visual stimuli and some auditory stimuli allows my brain to better handle the important auditory stimuli. Unfortunately, this does not work for driving, so I must limit my driving to quieter and less chaotic areas.

Does this make sense to any of you guys?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (01-12-2010), Mokey (01-17-2013)