View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,
Well today is the day, naturally I'm torturing myself by 'reading' the posts..LOL...

I am optomistic only because I have a wonderful dentist and he has really explained alot to me, the upper has been more advanced and how it would progress and THAT is what really got me to just do all this. The lowers are not as advanced and that we will continue to work on and keep up with. it may be just grafting that may save those. (and knowing lowers are not as 'easy' as uppers to wear...;O)

I have my ipod all synched up and ready to go with holiday music..LOL...and I am using the gas, which works slightly for me, enough to relax.

I have alerted my job, which REALLY was great so that I am not pressured to rush back to work feeling uncomfortable, I get paid to talk so it is job related.

I'm getting nostalgic with my teeth today, ya know "we've been together for -- years"...LOL...and part of me wants to bail, but won't.

I will take your advice on the slower the better to my surgeon, and as I look back, the other dentist was doing it really quick to get in and out knowing my nervous level so THAT makes a ton of sense as to why I experienced SO much 'peel me off the ceiling' pain.

We are going to look into implants to clip into later, one step at a time....

I will post and give update as to my experience.

Thanks again for all your advice. It is professionals such as yourself, that make the fearful people like me at ease. That is why I love my dentist, not only is he very nice, but takes the time to listen and explain and actually answers my questions before I ask. I go to my dentist faithfully (hope that won't change after today..LOL)because of all that AND the fact that the woman who does my cleanings and scalings does NOT hurt me....I have even had the scaling done with no shots..a little pain but nothing you can't get with..it is WONDERFUL. My old doctors' hygenist used that pick as if she was punishing me...it was scarring...now, my exp is great and I have NO problem jumping in the chair....

Welp, wish me luck! Say a prayer! I will post later....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi humarock,
Welcome to neurotalk!!

First let me say that it is GREAT that you have such an optimisitic outlook on the dentistry that you are about to have done! Going into this with a positive, optimistic attitude is of the utmost importance as it will help you to remain positive as you go through the various stages of healing and adapting to your denture. It is also great that you are accepting the loss of your bad teeth which will eliminate your periodontal disease in your upper arch and looking forward to having a more esthetically healthy smile..... ALL of these things are so in your favor!!

With regard to your palatal injection..... there is no way unfortunately to totally eliminate all of the discomfort of these injections. However, usually when a patient is having several upper teeth removed at one time and an immediate denture put in, there is a pattern to giving the injections which can minimize the discomfort of the palatal ones. Also if the anesthetic solution is injected into the gum very slowly, there is usually minimal discomfort irrelevant of where the injection is given. It is when the anesthetic is forced or pushed in too fast that causes the shot to be painful not the actual needle itself. I would gently but assertively, tell the denitst as he's applying the topical anesthetic to please make every effort to minimize the discomfort of the palatal ones. It may take a bit longer to do all of the injections slowly, but it's well worth it.

Some people use homeopathic remedies to calm them down for dental work with great success. Arnica montana sublingual pellets are awesome for pre and post op dentistry. If you are interested in finding out more about homeopathic usage, let me know. Some people take valium or xanax before an appointment with good results also.

If your dentist does not offer head phones w/music or a video or some other distraction then it might help you to bring your own. Drowning out the dental experience in something that draws your attention in a peaceful manner and is so helpful. Head phones or an ipod will not interfere with the dental aspect of anything at all. I encourage patients to find music that comforts them and listen to it a couple of times a day prior to their dental appointment. This trains the brain to go into a calm and relaxed state every time they hear this music.

Let me know if you want more info on the homeopathic remedies. Again, you are so far ahead of the game with your optimism....... !!!

Keep us posted....... ~'.'~

Bryanna
humarock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote