View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Hello, Jackie.

Although I can understand your concern there is another side to this issue.

There are diseases that damage the Central Nervous System (CNS). Because there is damage to the CNS and in many cases the cause of the damage can not be repaired or cured drugs are sought to help with pain.

I have Multiple Sclerosis, a disease that has no cure and damages the CNS. The pain associated with this disease is neuropathic and traditional pain meds most of the time won't even touch the pain.

Medications such as anti-seizure/anti-epileptic help, to a point, with neuropathic pain as well as other symptoms. Many would not be able to function was it not for these medications.

Many drugs need to be slowly tappered off of or withdrawl syptoms can be horrible. Some medications can be addicting. In either case there are people who can use these drugs responsibly without a problem.

Yes, I am well aware of what you say. I suffered greatly from these drugs in that they CAUSED great pain. However, what I am stressing is that Doctors basically dont really know what they prescribe. They described my pain and general malaise as "all in the mind". Not one of them had any idea as to the toxicity of these drugs. Indeed in 1974 two of them were withdrawn from sale because they were proving too toxic. Bear in mind that most drug induced abnormalities are subclinical therefore no signs for the doctor to see. There will always be a percentage of patients who will get away without real problems -- identifying these people is not possible. It is in effect Russian roulette with drugs. The losers have a worse problem than MS
jackie66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (04-03-2010)