View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Take it one step at a time

Dear Swmnupstrm,
First of all take a deep breath and try to calm yourself down. I don't even know you but I can tell by your writing how upset you are right now. I know this cause I have been there too. I am sure we all have. Could it be a scaitic nerve running up and down your legs? Or RSD spreading? I'm not sure but if you feel better lying on your left side (I use a pillow for between my legs and it helps a bit) do that and then get up slowly and do whatever you need to do and then lie down again. That sounds like my routine. I am up and down all the time in order to get things accomplished around my house. It takes me so long to get anything done but at least things are slowly getting done.

Also, try taking the sock off your feet. I know I cannot have anything on my feet in the morning as it makes the RSD worse. If it is RSD then ice is the worst thing for it. It messes up the nerve fibers in your body and makes the pain worse. Meth sounds like a drastic pain medicine to take right away. Have you been on it awhile? There must be something less addictive you can take. Funny thing is I take Fentanyl as a patch and other meds and for awhile I was taking motrin and it helped just to take the edge off but three months ago it did nothing. Our bodies change so much.

It sounds like whatever is wrong worsens when you stand up and put pressure on your body. I have the same problem in my right foot/leg. It is a compression problem. I think you might want to lay off the PT or at least lighten it up a bit until you see the doctor on 2/1. Best of luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.
kathy d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swmnupstrm View Post
Tingling/burning/stabbing pain started in both feet in October after starting a walking program.

Tested negative for diabetes.

Neuro and Neurosurgeon checked MRI and stated it is not back related (I have very little back pain), although neuro has referred me to PT. The surgeon opines it is bad walking shoes, stay off my feet 2 months get good shoes, and call him if it is no better.

Ok, I've been off my feet for over a week now, doing PT for back and it's getting WORSE I chatted with someone who has RDS today who thinks this might be my trouble.

Other than the pain, no swelling has been noted in my feet by the neuros or int medicine physician. No redness. I don't notice abnormal sweating just wearing sock around the house. No strength deficit, no reflex deficit.

However, if there's a chance of RSD, it looks like ice and methadone are not good things to treat with, and that's part of what has been suggested.

Any opinions? I can't get in to see the neuromuscular guy until Feb 1, and I am afraid of causing more damage.

Laying in bed at night, the pain eventually goes away and will stay little or none as long as I am on my back or side. As soon as I get up - there it goes again. I do take trazadone 100 for sleep.

Thanks anyone.
kathy d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
loretta (01-12-2010)