View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default response to prednisone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknerd View Post
Hey guys,

I've recently started tapering down on my prednisone from 60mgs to 50mgs per day as of Dec. the 1st. I've noticed more frequently now than before that my moonface isn't as prominent some days. In fact, today, it went down significantly, although it's still a bit swollen. I'm a bit confused about the moonface side-effect. I read that the side-effects of prednisone are lipodystrophy and in brackets beside this was written buffalo hump, moonface and fat redistribution to the trunk, with less distribution to the legs and arms. So I'm just wondering: is the moonface actually caused by fat redistribution or water retention? It seems to me that it would be water, since it goes down sometimes and this sorta seems to be related to my salt intake. Since starting the 50mgs, I've also been more conscious about how much salt I'm eating, and am eating less of it, and try to avoid it as much as possible (which is really hard, btw argh).

Has anyone been able to keep their moonface at bay with a special diet, or taking the prednisone at certain times of the day or even exercise? I walked a lot today, and took my prednisone a bit earlier than usual. I also had a plasma exchange after I took my prednisone. Maybe all these things combined kept the swelling down?

P.S. I really hate the moonface, in case you haven't noticed! lol

Ttys!
Nicky
Hi Nickey,

I went through the same exact situation in 2000. I was on 80 milligrams a day and 100 milligrams of cytoxan for a tumor in my head. The moonface will only lesson as you come off the prednisone. Once you are totally off it, in time you will lose the hump oin you neck and the water retention will go away, eventually. while ur still on the pred try to eat a raw diet and veggies and greens. i know thats aweful advice but there is nothing else u can do. I totally know how aweful the side affects of pred are....but the drug does work. the walking will help but really eating the greens and fruit is a win win because it is putting all the healthy stuff back ur body....and ur body needs it since the pred is working on what it needs to buy it is depleating ur body of all the healthy vitamins. good luck!
kiwiwall is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (01-12-2010)