View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 01:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up 13 yr OLD BOY MUCH BETTER AFTER 11 WEEKS

I wanted to post this to offer support to all those who are going through what my son dealt with this Fall. After accidentally hitting his head on the ground during football practice, my 13 yr old did n;t tell anyone for 24 hours until his headache was so bad he couldnt read or tolerate light. He was diagnosed with a concussion and told it would clear up in 1 -2 weeks. Well after two he was still home from school and still unable to read or tolerate light or noise. It was terrifying and isolating. We lived like ferrets underground with the lights off and I would read to him by flashlight.
Slowly the headaches diminshed, they would re appear if he read or watched too much tv. No computers. Car sickness. No school work. After six weeks he still had lingering symptoms, though improved. It took a total of 11 weeks for his symptoms to disappear. We still have anxiety they will pop up, but he can finally run and jump and seems to be clear.

Find a good doctor, one who can administer the IMPACT test, an orthopedist, not necessarily a neurologist, who may not ahve experience with athletes.

Make sure to be evaluated for vestibular damage as well.

My son didn't like the elavil, it worked on the headaches, but it made him feel sad and out of it, so we dropped it. But it works for many.

Be patient.
newt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (03-06-2010), concussionkate (01-14-2010), Mrs-B (08-18-2012), MsRriO (02-25-2013)