View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

bluesky,

I don't want to dissapoint you, but I am not sure that your ABG will help.

one of the "problems" is that we do everything we possibly can to maintain our CO2 level and oxygenation. this is an instict we can't control.

further more, although there is a normal range for the level of CO2, based on the average population, you may, (like me) be an outlier.

it took a while to understand that my normal CO2 is around 35. and therefore a CO2 of 40 is not normal for me, let alone 50.

when I had clear evidence of significant respiratory muscle weakness, and nocturnal CO2 retention, my resting ABG showed a CO2 of 40.

that being said, it is a bit unpleasant, but not a complicated test, and if it does show significant abnormalities, they would not be able to ignore it anymore. I just don't want the opposite to happen, that they will say that since you have a normal ABG, your respiratory symptoms can't be due to a "real" problem.

so, I think you should go ahead with it, but make sure that your GP is aware of the fact that although an abnormal ABG clearly shows of a respiratory problem, a normal one does not exclude one.

let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

alice
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote