View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face

This post is to let lucky know there are others like her out there. I've had a chronic cough for 18 1/2 years now. And hoarse for, honestly I've lost track, 2-3 years (this time). I've been to doctors who have scoped me for GERD, CT scans of sinus, asthma, allergy testing, and more. I've aggressively searched for an answer only to be disappointed and pull back from the medical community. I've searched herbal/natural methods. I've had one Nurse Practioner who has been in my corner but really didn't know what more to do. This NP had another 'cougher' who presented with the same symptoms. While the cougher was on her quest she was directed to OSU Medical Center a Larangeal doctor who diagnosed her with Larangeal sensory neuropathy. She is on Lyrica and is 90% better. This caring NP called me the other day when she found out about the other cougher's relief. Long story short: I now am in the process of getting a referral to OSU Medical Center. I'm hoping and praying this is the right track for me and that the end and relief is in sight.

my other symptoms: I've had two thyroid surgeries and after each one I lost my voice for 2+ months. ON the second surgery it got a little better then was so bad that it sounded like a raspy whisper for more than a year. It is back but I will get hoarse if I've used my voice alot. I cannot sing or certain things come out with no sound.
I've had a sore throat for a couple of years now, specifically on the right side of throat.
I've been diagnosed with asthma but I wonder if this is a misdiagnoses. I've never been hospitalized with an asthma attack but my cough produces mucus.
And strangely enough when I was 18 I did have a bout with neuropathy that I never have connected with this...my left forearm was partially paralized for more than a year then feeling and motion started coming back. Until tonight reading this forum I never have even mentioned this to a doctor. I just thought it was some strange thing that happened!

Anyway that's all I can think of tonight. I can't believe I came across this forum tonight and read LUCKY's post. I believe you, Lucky. There are more people like you. This is a really tough thing to diagnose I guess. I am asking for your prayers out there. Please pray that my appointment will be a success and they will finally find a correct diagnosis and RELIEF for this cough.
Blessings to all
Zini is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote