View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Looking for words of wisdom

Hi, friends. I just discovered this site, and would like to ask if anybody has an insight about my situation.

I have a 24-year-old son who has never shown signs of illness before. He is a graduate student and has done very well in school. Last spring he had some disappointments -- funding for his projects were cut, leaving him without work or direction -- and in July he had a sudden breakdown: paranoia, insomnia, and, after days without sleep, some psychosis.

We finally took him to the hospital, where he was kept for a week in the psych ward. We didn't get a clear diagnosis, but bipolar was suggested, and he himself thought that might fit.

He was released with the understanding that he'd be under the care of both a therapist and a psychiatrist. I have just learned that he is no longer seeing either of them. More alarming, he has told me he's taking Abilify over-the-counter, which I believe is not possible.

He seems fine. But he seemed fine before. He's an adult, and has been happily and successfully independent until now. I have no reason to think he's in trouble... but that lie is scary. I'm reluctant to confront him... and I'm reluctant not to, you know?

What do you think?